Featured Post

Live Your Best Life

I have a bracelet I have worn every day for the past four years. Each morning I put it on. Each morning I smile. Each morning I am reminded ...

Monday, June 18, 2012

Traveling Sonographer ~ Happy Trails

As a traveling sonographer there are many unknowns, new adventures, some challenges, and always an array of new experiences. New people. New places. Always something new to learn. Every place has their own individualized culture, their own methods, and own characters. I have grown to love the varied encounters: from small town, 150 bed, hospitals where I am the only tech, day and night, and the day before Christmas, three different patients invite me over for Christmas dinner in their home with their families, to normal hours at a high risk ob center, where the majority of the patients speak only Spanish, and I do not. A little now, though...thanks to that adventure. Then onto level one trauma facilities where at any moment you can be called to Critical Care to perform a STAT scan on a mangled body. Femurs fractured in two. Pregnant carrying twins. Run over by her boyfriend in his truck. Intentionally. Or the not so mentally stable guy who strangles his testicles with a rubberband, while hanging himself from the ceiling for sexual pleasure. He is forced to wear a mesh mask since he tends to spit at you when upset. Grossly swollen testes, but never spit at me; thank God. Then the Burn Unit floor...that's another story all together. Case after case. The baby boy who has been raised in the hospital because he parents already have too many kids and he has too many health issues for them to tend to. I held him, stroked his air, sang him songs and whispered stories in his ear so the other sonographer could scan him without too much upset. Precious boy, in need of LOVE. They are ALL GOD'S CHILDREN!

Always a new experience to learn from. The trails are not always smooth and they get lonely at times, but I must say they are happy.

Happy Trails, Stephanie

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Stephanie! I sure love your heart towards people. I look forward to following your adventures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Christy...I have some special stories stored away in my "heart-box" and will eventually get them on here as well. Whether anyone reads them or not, it is good for me to write them down and relive the appreciation. As your lovely blog states, Love Is A Verb...and patient care is more than just taking care of their bodies: body, HEART, AND SOUL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie, I love your story about happiness as a traveling sonographer. You truly have a nice heart towards people. I have a website about sonographer education and career development. When you have time, please visit my website here. Good feedback is welcome! Best regards from Lisa

    ReplyDelete